Are Home Packing Services Worth the Cost?
So you’ve reached a point in your life when it’s time for moving home and you might wonder: are home packing services worth the extra cost?
Moving houses, in itself, is an already monumental process. I consider packing as one of my least favourite thing to do, so I made a research on how to make my life easier. Home packing services do actually worth the extra cost: it reduces moving-related stress and the number of things to do, plus you will also get professional protection for your belongings. Those who already tried home packing services would never do a move again without it.
Today, I’m going to show you what to expect from professional packers, what are the costs, and how to get ready for packing services. I will also walk you through the whole process to help you understand if packing services really worth the money in your case.
What Are Packing Services?
As simple as it may seem, packing for a house move involves many important decisions. For example, in order to minimise potential damage during transportation, what is the best way to pack, say, a vase? Do you need special cushioning? Do you put it in a box with other objects?
This can be extremely stressful to think about, especially as the moving day is getting closer. Luckily enough, professional removal companies offer packing services to make your move much easier.
What Do Professional Packers Do?
Packing services usually include the packing of your home where you are moving out from, as well as the unpacking at the new place. The actual packing happens prior to your moving day and it’s usually done in a few hours. But what exactly packers can do for you when it comes to moving houses?
- Professional packers use high-quality packing materials. From the boxes to the tape, professional packers use (and supply) high-quality products. This ensures that your items will be safe during transit and packing is less likely to become undone.
- Professional packers maximise space. Say, for example, you have an odd-shaped object that you wish to fit in a typical packing box. Professional packers are trained to maximize the space of the box, meaning they have a few tips and tricks up their sleeves to safely fit much more objects in a box, compared to if an amateur mover did the work.
- Professional packers know how to maximise safety. We all have valuable furniture in our homes. Whether it is sentimentally valuable or just outrageously expensive, we would never want our items to be destroyed due to faulty packing. Specialists know exactly how to protect all sorts of goods to prevent any damage such as cracks and scratches during loading, unloading, and transportation.
- Professional packers have a system. For any process to be done effectively and efficiently, there needs to be a system. Packers will immediately know where and how to start the packing process – you will see them arriving at your home and jump right into it. Their experience will dramatically decrease the amount of time needed to get ready for moving day.
Do You Need Packing Services?
Like most important decisions in life, this one depends mostly on your individual situation. Some people may not require packing services. For others, it is an absolute necessity. To make the decision easier for yourself, we’ve listed a few critical questions to think about:
- How many bedrooms are in your current home? Generally speaking, the more bedrooms you have, the more likely you will need help with packing. However, as I mentioned above, it really depends on your individual circumstances. For instance, many of my clients asked for packing services when they got stuck abroad during the coronavirus lockdown.
- Do you have experience in packing? If not, it’s probably not the best time to learn. You are handling valuable items, after all. Might as well hire a professional to do everything for you.
- Will you be moving over a long distance? For long-distance moves, your items are more likely to be exposed to the elements. Moisture, extreme temperatures, even bumpy roads; these can all possibly damage your items if not packaged properly. If your move will take more than a couple of hours of travel, it’s time to call the professionals.
- Do you have a lot of furniture to transport? Think about all the items. Maybe you’ve sold all your furniture along with the house. Then, you’ll just be packing a few easy-to-pack items such as clothes, books, etc. If this is the case, then most probably there’s no need for packing services. This, however, is a rare situation. Most of us require the shipping of furniture or large items such as appliances. This calls for professional packing services
What Is Usually Included in Packing Services?
Before getting into the specifics of packing prices in the UK, let’s put things into perspective. Some of you may not want to pay for packing. However, the pros of hiring professionals far outweigh the cons. Let’s talk about the various ways you can benefit from hiring professionals.
- Packing materials: You save lots of time and energy if you don’t have source packing materials by yourself.
- Furniture disassembly. Let’s say you built a bunk bed from IKEA for your kids. All you need to do is get the bed out of the room. Easy enough, right? In this case, the bunk bed won’t fit through the doorway without disassembly. Dismantling furniture can be frustrating, time-consuming, and may require special tools. Luckily, most professional packers will gladly disassemble and pack furniture for you. Ask about reassembly if you think you might have trouble doing it by yourself.
- Packing of special items. Special items include items such as pianos, vintage furniture, or even as extreme as arcade machines. Basically, if you have any unique items that may require different packaging, the packers can handle it for you. Regardless of how unique your object is, they’ve probably packed one just like it in the past, so you can rest assured they know what they are doing.
- Moving insurance. Any good professional packing service will provide moving insurance. This is a good thing for two reasons. First, it shows that they are confident in how well they were able to pack your belongings. Second, if any of your belongings do get lost or damaged, the company will shoulder the liability and will remunerate you. So make sure you ask your removal company about their insurance in writing.
How Much Does Professional Packing Cost in 2020?
Now that you know what you’ll be getting by paying for professional packing services, we can begin to discuss pricing.
Of course, pricing depends on several factors: the number of bedrooms you have at your current home, the packing materials, and how much time will the job take, just to name a few.
So what is the average packing cost in the UK?
- For a one-bedroom home, the average cost of packing is starting from £150-£200
- 2-bedroom home, the average cost of packing is £250-£300
- 3-bedroom home, the average cost of packing is £300-£350
- 4-bedroom home, the average cost of packing is £350-£400
Please note that these are UK national averages based on recent quotes. In addition, I would highly recommend shopping around the price – quotes may vary by hundreds of pounds.
How To Prepare For Professional Packing
By now, I hope you’ve seen the joys of hiring packing services. Not to mention, the stress reduced by allowing professionals to do the work for you. If you do choose to hire experienced packers, there are a few things you can do to prepare. These will ensure that they are able to perform their job more smoothly.
- Sort your possessions and get rid of unnecessary belongings. Declutter those things that you rarely use.
- You have to pack your valuables / important items such as laptops for instance. Leave them marked and make sure to let the packers know.
- You also have to pack a box worth of items that you would call a “priority box”. Pack everything in here that you will immediately need in your new home – think about snacks, napkins, kettle, toilet paper, nappies, etc.
- You may want to create a no-go zone for the packers if necessary – use regular masking tape on the floor to mark the boundaries of this zone. Leave everything in here that you don’t want to be touched by your packers (your valuables for instance). I’d recommend a small corner of your house for this purpose.
By keeping in mind the list above, you’ll be helping the professionals do what they do best: pack. This will make the entire moving process much less stressful for you and your family.
Can I Hire Packing Services During Coronavirus Pandemic?
If you are living in England, the answer is yes. Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales still have measures in place at the time of writing.
The government has recently advised in their updated COVID-19 guidance that you should do all the packing by yourself if you can. However, if you are using a removal company, you may wish to talk to them in advance, and make arrangements for packing fragile or special items.
It is also advised to clean your items before someone will handle them. Standard domestic cleaning products, such as your regular washing-up liquid, are recommended to be used with lukewarm water.
As it is a fast-changing environment, I’d recommend keeping yourself updated regularly by visiting the government’s COVID-19 page.
Conclusion – Are Packing Services Really Worth the Money?
I would recommend packing services to everyone. In case you moved houses several times and hired packers, you would most probably say the same. Professional packing is done before moving day and will surely make things easier for you.
Depending on how much stuff do you actually have, packing services can also make a significant impact on your overall moving experience. By letting someone professionally pack your delicate items, you will also benefit from the added security when it comes to transportation. Moreover, high-quality boxes and packing materials are key elements of a smooth move. Packers will also maximise space so you will end up with fewer boxes and things to deal with at the other end.
Try to make sure that you first declutter everything that you don’t need. In addition to this, I’d also recommend packing your valuable/most important items (such as laptops for instance) in advance. You may also want to consider creating a “priority box”, which includes those items that you will immediately need at your new home.
Do you need any furniture to be dismantled? It is extremely important to let your removal company know about this, so make sure you mention it when asking for a quote.
To sum up, packing services worth every penny -it can significantly reduce your stress level for a small amount of money. I think it is a great investment for those who want to have a smooth moving experience.
If you would like to ask for a free packing quote from a reputable removal firm, I’d recommend using RemovalBear.
Are you considering adding packing services to your next move? Or do you have any questions? Please let me know in the comments below.